Tagungsbeitrag

Vojtěchovský, Jan:

Sgraffitos of the Litomyšl Castle - Present State and Future Plans

Since 2011 there has been a systematic survey and monitoring of the sgraffito decoration of the Litomyšl Castle, which has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1999. The sgraffito dates to 1568–1581 and was subsequently influenced by two repairs after the fires in 1635 and 1775. The sgraffito of the adjacent Castle Brewery was created around 1630. Some of the sgraffito decoration was never covered, while other parts were. Since the beginning of the twentieth century, there has been a great number of partial uncovering and interventions on the castle and brewery sgraffito decoration. The present state of the sgraffiti was greatly influenced by their overall uncovering and subsequent extensive reconstruction, which took place between 1974 and 1987 under the direction of the famous Czech sculptor Olbram Zoubek. The expert discussions, which have taken place in recent years, resulted in the decision that the above mentioned reconstruction phase should be respected within newly planned interventions, considering the fact that the authors of the reconstruction are famous Czech artists of the second half of the twentieth century.
Recently, almost all the facades have undergone interventions to secure them locally. The sgraffito of the entrance tower on the Castle Brewery was fully conserved and a model treatment was performed on the northern castle tower in 2014. At present, a project of a new adaptation of the castle is being prepared, in which a complex restoration and building interventions on the facades are supposed to take place. This can significantly affect and irreversibly change the current appearance of the facades. This raises the question whether nowadays such an intervention is still acceptable and whether there should be a wider discussion on the national and international level.

Sgraffiti des Schlosses Litomyšl – Zustand und Zukunftspläne

Seit 2011 gibt es eine systematische Untersuchung und ein Monitoring der Sgraffito-Dekorationen des Schlosses Litomyšl, das seit 1999 zum UNESCO-Weltkulturerbe gehört. Die Sgraffito datieren in die Zeit 1568-1581und wurden durch zwei Reparaturen nach Bränden in den Jahren 1635 und 1775 überarbeitet. Die Sgraffito-Dekoration der angrenzenden Schlossbrauerei wurde um 1630 geschaffen. Einige Bereiche der Sgraffito-Dekorationen waren nie überputzt, andere waren es.
Seit dem Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts gab es eine große Anzahl von partiellen Freilegungen und Maßnahmen an den Sgraffiti von Schloss und Brauerei. Der gegenwärtige Zustand der Sgraffiti ist stark beeinflusst durch ihre großflächige Freilegung und der anschließenden umfangreichen Rekonstruktion, die zwischen 1974 und 1987 unter der Leitung des berühmten tschechischen Bildhauers Olbram Zoubek stattfand.

Die Expertengespräche, die in den letzten Jahren erfolgten, führten zur Entscheidung, dass die oben genannte Rekonstruktionsphase bei neu geplanten Maßnahmen respektiert und somit erhalten werden sollte, da sie von namhaften tschechische Künstlern der 2. Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts stammen. In letzter Zeit wurden fast an allen Fassaden Maßnahmen durchgeführt, um sie in situ zu erhalten. Die Sgraffiti des Eingangsturms der Schloßbrauerei wurden 2014 vollständig konserviert und eine modellhafte Behandlung am nördlichen Schlossturm durchgeführt. Zurzeit wird ein Projekt vorbereitet, bei dem eine komplexe Restaurierung und Baumaßnahmen an den Fassaden stattfinden soll. Dies könnte sich auf das aktuelle Erscheinungsbild der Fassaden erheblich auswirken und diese irreversibel verändern. Es wirft die Frage auf, ob eine solche Maßnahme derzeit noch akzeptabel ist und ob es nicht eine breitere Diskussion auf nationaler und internationaler Ebene geben sollte.

Jan Vojtěchovský studied wall painting and easel painting conservation in Litomyšl and Bratislava between 1997 and 2005. At present he is a PhD candidate in the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the Czech Technical University in Prague. His dissertation deals with the use of nanolime suspensions for the conservation of wall paintings and architectural surfaces. Since 2007 he has been teaching in the Faculty of Restoration at the University of Pardubice, located in Litomyšl. In 2012 he became a head of the studio of Conservation of Wall Paintings and Sgraffito at the same faculty.